Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Because I still feel the need to explain

There are many reasons I don’t want to seek marriage. Elaborate, wise, articulate reasons that I have had at least 15 years to come up with. (That was the time a life outside the cocoon of school started to look like a clear and present possibility.) The reason to get married, however, is embryonic in comparison. Its most compelling reason for being is biology. Two months after I turned 30, I was ready. Is this my body speaking? Is it my body saying, you’re not invincible, make plans for the future?
I'm late to the club. When friends got married, I laughed, cried and prayed with them, but I never, not once, imagined that I would want that for myself. My 20s were safe from expectations, at least. Now suddenly, I want a permanent member on my team. Not because I want the company, I just want the familiarity. His books, his mug, his smell. We’re planning a. He hates it when I. The first time we. I want someone to start these stories with.
Or maybe I just want someone with whom I can share the massive, chest-crushing fear of the possibility of children. Maybe that’s actually what my body is telling me: go, make more. But my hormones haven’t sent me a baby notice yet. No, I don’t seem to want to birth a baby. I just want one to settle in the crook of my arm. As if babies are ever so neat.
I want a receptacle to pour love into. It’s not a nice way to think of another human being, as a vessel. But maybe it’s not just one human being. Maybe I want two of them, maybe three. Maybe the object needn't be human at all. Maybe I just want to start that dog shelter I've been day-dreaming about since forever. Maybe I simply want to bring something in from the cold, warm it with my ample bosom, fill it to the brim with a stubborn love and send it into the world armed with the knowledge that home is a happy, safe place. And it’s right where you left it.
So do I want a have a child or go back to being a child?
Philosophy is hard. Shaadi.com is simple.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Neeraj said...

Would you like to have a life long legally binding love affair with me ? I am very serious about this!!!
Life is incomplete without marriage and family.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Hi Neeraj! Wow, I'm flattered. Do you often propose marriage on Blogger?!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Neeraj said...

Hi Deepa, Actually no. This is the first time I am proposing on Blogger:-)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Then I'm honoured, as well as flattered :)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Neeraj said...

No new posts recently ?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Aran said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Aran said...

I recently found you. Again. As it is with everything lost and found, I love you even more for coming back to me after the loss.

I came here just to tell you that.

But now...

Just to counter Neeraj's proposal: Would you like to have a non-legally binding love affair with me? I am also pretty serious about this!!!
Life is incomplete without falling headlong into impulsive crush with someone who might turn out to be worth it.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home